Changing Weather in Kaivopuisto Park

These days the weather is changeable.
Sunday at noon, after a quick walk to Uunisaari looking for rowan trees, hoping to recognise them from some remaining berries, I went up on the hill. There was a cold wind with strong sudden gusts, but I noticed only afterwards that my camera had fallen down, recording the sky and parts of the tree, not such a bad choice of framing, actually. I sat for a second time, freezing, but chose not put on my woollen cap, after all it was hardly minus degrees. The second mishap or incident that time: the right lens of my cheap reading spectacles fell off, and I could not repair it, so had to close one eye instead, in order to see anything. The images got done, however…
Sitting on the alder stub was such a luxury after the windy spot up on the hill – but you have to suffer for the view, I suppose…
Monday morning, snow and wind, which felt like a snow storm, at least while sitting up on the hill facing the open sea, more like a soft snow fall when sitting on the alder stub inside the park. This time the weather was so cold and raw that I decided to wear my cap, and it helped protecting parts of my face. Unfortunately it looks rather stupid in the image. To avoid the tripod tumbling over I had with me a piece of rock in a plastic bag to use as a weight to keep the main of the weight of the tripod low to stabilise it, and it worked. The camera did not fall this time, despite the heavy wind. The wind stopped the camera, however, at some point, mysteriously, almost immediately after I went to sit. Was the energy needed in the cold too much for the battery, or did the humidity of the wet snow create the problem? I still do not know what happened. So I had to repeat the sitting again, this time the close up version. The weather was rather painful, so the sessions were much shorter this time, although I counted the same amount of breaths but I was simply breathing more rapidly.
The funniest part was the effect of the snow flakes covering the lens in the close up image, which turned into a grey surface in the end.
Meanwhile, the snow was softly falling by the alder inside the park, creating an idyllic winter view.
Tuesday morning, all the snow was gone. There was a light breeze from the west, barely reaching the trees on the hill, so sitting with the tree was fairly enjoyable – and no mishaps this time.
The strange brown pool of dirty water, with a frozen surface, looked disgusting, but proved no obstacle for placing the tripod after all…